I Live In Korea

My name is Ben Gwynne. I USED to teach English in Incheon, South Korea. Here's some photos, stories, videos, etc.

On September 6th I went on a bike ride along the Han River and went by a park that was under construction. Here's what it looked like on that day…



Now here’s what it looked like one month later on October 12th…









There’s no question this couldn’t happen in NYC (or anywhere in the US for that matter). There would be too many labor disputes, people complaining, cost overrun, construction mishaps, etc. Here, construction jobs get done with extreme efficiency because of the difference in ethics and values.

And don't be mistaken, although there's a lot of concrete the surrounding is grass. This is a very nice park that was packed with people and I'm sure I'll be passing by it on some bike rides next summer.

Overall the infrastructure in Seoul is far superior to ours. The airports, trains, highways, modern architecture, etc. blows ours away. Not sure why it can’t be like that back home…

For those who are more interested, here's a video of a quick walk through I did of a really nice playground. I'm sure back home people would have thought I was a creep for walking around filming something in a public place with little kids, but here it's no big deal.



This park was really fun, the stationary bike machines told you how much power you were exerting and it was so clean you could eat off all the equipment there as well. Again, why can't it be like that back home?

7 comments:

The Pingitore's... said...

I would like to take my kids to this park where in Seoul is it could you email me how to get there
Lisapingitore@live.com
Thanks

regula said...

Hi, we are on our way to Seoul for a holiday and would like to visit this amazing playground. Could you tell us where to find it?

Thanks a lot!

regula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
regula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi. The playground was at the Sports Complex subway stop, however, I think it was just set up for an event that was going on at the time. I am not 100% positive if it will be there still. Sorry, hope you have fun in Seoul!

-bg

regula said...

Good to know that it might be gone. Thanks for the quick reply anyway!

Anonymous said...

No problem. Hope you have fun over there!

bg