I Live In Korea

My name is Ben Gwynne. I USED to teach English in Incheon, South Korea. Here's some photos, stories, videos, etc.

Asia and bootleg are two words that frequently appear in the same sentence. Usually it's in regards to products, but in Korea it also happens with the names of bars, stores, etc. Let's check out some of my favorites...

I’m not expert on copyright infringement, but I’m pretty sure you can’t do the following things.

1. Name a store after an already existing brand that is known worldwide




2. Use the official logo of another company and simply change the name of your store/product




3. Name a store after one of the (if not the) most famous museums in the world



4. Create your own renditions of famous characters from tv/movies and pretend like it’s not a ripoff



5. Name a bar/store after a famous band



I like the Ting Tings and all, but I mean they are a new band. Queen is LEGENDARY and Jamiroquai is pretty famous. Seems like you're making a big leap naming it after a band that hasn't been out long and isn't a sure thing. Plus, the bar smells like a bathroom that's been urinated in a lot (with nothing ever going in the toilet) and never cleaned. That place is a hellhole and I never want to go back there. Ever.



6. Name a store after a famous video game.



7. Name a store/product off a famous movie or characters





8. Claim that you are a Hyatt hotel, when in fact you are just a "Love Motel" (gotta blog about these places eventually)



There's a bunch of fake Hilton's as well. Pretty sure the Hilton family got word of this and is suing.

I don't know how these places get away with it. I'm sure there will be crackdowns at some point, it will just be an easy way for these corporations/people who own trademarks/copyrights over these names to get some $ in a settlement. Until then, I'll laugh about all the funny places I see and will take pictures of them as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Different countries. Different laws.

Anonymous said...

most of those places u list are usually criminally run. try to find the owner first to sue. good luck lol.

Ben Gwynne said...

I hope they don't close down, I love seeing them!