I Live In Korea

My name is Ben Gwynne. I USED to teach English in Incheon, South Korea. Here's some photos, stories, videos, etc.

Sep 28, 2009

Handsome and Unhappy

In Korea, it’s normal (common actually) for a man to call another man handsome. This was awkward at first but now I think it’s kinda funny. I’ll be keeping a running tally of how many people call me handsome or some other compliment in a normal conversation in which no flirtation was going on at all to initiate the comment. I’ll show you the stats, Men vs. Women, so you can see how much I hate my life. Below I’ll cite some funny examples….



First Handsome
I walk into the principal’s office after my long flight, before saying anything else, he hands me a Red Bull and tells me I'm "very handsome." So it begins...

Fifth Handsome
I meet my coworkers boyfriend, I introduce myself…

BG – “hi, my name is Ben”
Guy – “you very handsome”

Didn’t even give me his name first. Odd.

Eighth Handsome
My second female, yes!!! But she is 13 and my student, damn!
“Ben teacher, you in glasses very ugly. You no glasses very handsome.”

First Beautiful
Got my first beautiful the other night, again, by a man. Not just any man either, one of the drunkest men I’ve ever met in my life. A middle aged Korean man came up to us sitting down at a bar, wanted to drink with us and started talking. In Korean, he told the girls I was with they are beautiful, he then said I’m also beautiful, and that normally only women are beautiful, but in this case, I too am beautiful

**** I'm going to update this every few weeks with new numbers and new quotes. I'm hoping the numbers start to even out, right now I'm not happy with them. I will also do my best to try to remember if any comments like this happen when I'm intoxicated. I'm hoping I get more then as opposed to my usual way of getting them...........from students......male ones.....

16 comments:

Maggie said...

how nice to live in a country where you get complimented every day! take your compliments where you can get them - don't be so ungrateful!

Ben Gwynne said...

I want compliments from females of an appropriate age only!

Angel said...

I had a male Korean boss who used to compliment other men too. I guess compliments are a part of their lives. I was in Seoul the other week and got complimented with "oh, you are so picturesque!" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Ben Gwynne said...

WOw, picturesque? That's a pretty unique compliment I think. I just wish moreof my compliments were coming from the opposite sex AND from the right age category.

Time to update my "handsome" statistics..........

paperbiscuits said...

This is my favorite of all post you have.

should you be more thankful that men finds you good looking?hahahah.Kidding. I honestly find it funny.dont worry korean women possibly find you good looking and theyre just embarassed to let you know.

Ben Gwynne said...

It's funny to me, doesn't bother me one bit. I have another post related to this which I'll have up soon. Promise, next week I'm updating this a lot and will continue to.

Anonymous said...

You're so freaking funny. i love your blog and i love you!

Randy said...

First time in Seoul... I just arrived this afternoon - been here barely 5 hours and have been awash with so many 'handsome' compliments I'm about to suffer a brain hemorrhage from all the blushing! It's so incredibly bizzare yet flattering! I mean my friend's male Korean friends must have told me 1000 times tonight that I was handsome and strangers walking past me on the street would say so too! They're probably just being polite.

Anonymous said...

Hey Randy, hope you're enjoying it. To be fair, I do recall seeing/hearing students make fun of teachers for their physical appearances. I was told I have a "tall nose" and I have heard them say another teacher was fat. They certainly aren't shy! Haha.

bg

Randy said...

Ben apparently the tall nose is a complement and according to my local friends it's the most desired physical attribute among Sth Korean men along with big eyes, height and a deep voice!

Anonymous said...

HA, I dunno Randy, I know these kids were making fun of my nose, lol. Either way, great kids. I loved the experience teaching their and miss it fondly. Enjoy!!!

bg

Anonymous said...

i had a women korea. im
, mongolian

black_tiger said...

can't wait to see what else you have.

www.n8fan.net

Cindy M said...

HAHHAA this is too funny but very accurate.
I am very average looking person but i did get a lot of compliments too when i went to korea last month.
I was treated like a princess and people be saying my eyes were beautiful
when theyre just regular 20/20 vision eyes xD

Please update your blog this is actually soo funny I shouldve tally my compliments too when i went to korea. hahaha

Anonymous said...

Hey Cindy, thanks for your feedback and sharing your story. I moved from Korea so that's why it's not up to date, I had a good run though! Thanks again!

- BG

yaklibber924 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.