I Live In Korea

My name is Ben Gwynne. I USED to teach English in Incheon, South Korea. Here's some photos, stories, videos, etc.

By no means do I consider myself a big man, I'm 6 feet on a good day and probably a buck fifty when I step on a scale, so it's a little strange that someone like me is a little out of luck when shopping for clothes in Korea.

Here are some examples of the sizes of items in Korea and in one instance how they compare to items in America.....

XXL Sweatpants (Yes, extra extra large)




American medium vs. Korean medium




The biggest sandals I found at the store.....



Losing weight isn't even an option for most people, I can't make my limbs shorter. There are American clothing stores here if I was interested in picking items up from Nike or the Gap which are about 25% more expensive here than they are at home. Everything here is cheaper, even if it's imported from overseas, except for American clothing brands. Weird.

Either way, I'll have to get used to buying bigger sizes than I'm used to, or just being a tight warrior.

4 comments:

Chris in South Korea said...

Bear in mind that the averages are different between countries (considering many more Americans are overweight), so the clothing sizes reflect that. Women have it a LOT worse though - bigger Korean women almost don't exist, and I've yet to hear of a 'Lane Bryant'-type store common around Korea. The last few years have seen a few more shops open up to cater to the heavier people; Itaewon has quite a few places worth looking at. Bigger shoes? Myeongdong and Gangnam - walk out of exit 6 of Gangnam station and look for the Landrover / Kumkang store for big or small shoes. You'll see the shoe display in the window - keep looking for it and you'll find it.

Ben Gwynne said...

I was just at the COEX building so I found some other places to get bigger clothes, thanks for the tips!

foolycooly said...

im about 5"10 and like a buck 40 mayb 45 do u think its safe for my to buy a hoodie

Anonymous said...

Yeah I have a real cool hoodie from there, you just have to buy a size or two bigger than you would in the US

- bg