I Live In Korea

My name is Ben Gwynne. I USED to teach English in Incheon, South Korea. Here's some photos, stories, videos, etc.

I've seen a lot of random things in my book, around town, in stores, etc., here's some of my favorites...

You've all seen the lobster crane game where you can win a toy lobster, but
in Korea you can find ones with REAL LIVE LOBSTERS. This machine was
off, thus, the lobsters were dead, but I am hellbent on finding a working
machine and I will play until I win a lobster. No doubt about it.




I have seen several bar bathrooms with tongs on top
of or next to the toilet. It's a little stange.





I had an entire lesson which talked about bodily functions. Mainly poop and farts. It made no sense really, and it was for one of my more advanced classes. All they did was laugh the whole time, and call some kid named Martin "Fartin."








A little strange, buy two bottles of "Pocari Sweat"
(Koreas take on Gatorade) and get a free paper towel roll.




Just some stereotypical stuff in my book.
"I" is for Indian? Couldn't find another good "I" word?



Yes, all rappers look like this.



"Renee is rich, but Zach is poor." Then I get a handful of diary's from my students saying how poor people are "lazy, terrible, pitiful, pitiable, etc."



This would be fine if it was October, but these pumpkin mobiles came out in December. I have no idea what they were doing, it was very random.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, very funny!

Anonymous said...

Thongs in bathroom.... Oh I know... It is for people who might drop something into the toilet bowl and need a tool to help retrieving it...

Ben Gwynne said...

ReallY? How often do you or your friends drop things in the toilet? Happened to me only once.

I see a lot of people falling down here when walking (usually girls wearing big heels), perhaps stuff dropping in toilets is common here too.

Anonymous said...

it's for the garbage can. you know in korea, in the bathroom there is a warning "PLZ, Dont throw the toilet papers in the toilet." so, in the garbage can there are a lot of dirty toilet papers. so I think when they clean the garbage can, they use it. believe me, not for the toilet.

Ben Gwynne said...

Ahhhhhhhh, I guess that makes sense. I'm not the only person I know who's made a comment about the tongs in there, now I have an explanation. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The trucks are advertising a night club. Pretty common in Korea.

bg said...

Interesting. never knew that. Never saw those trucks before and it looked odd because they were pumpkins and halloween had long passed

Anonymous said...

Tongs are to put the toilet seat up or down without touching it dumbasses

Anonymous said...

I'm sure those tongs are really sanitary for your hands considering they are sitting on top of the toilet bowl in the bathroom (sarcasm).

Anonymous said...

Haha interesting blog! And Well It's quite late but actually the tongs are for cleaners. they use it to pick up used toilet papers around toilets or around garbage can.

Anonymous said...

Yup, and also to pick up the toilet seat. Found that out later though. Thanks for reading!

bg