I Live In Korea

My name is Ben Gwynne. I USED to teach English in Incheon, South Korea. Here's some photos, stories, videos, etc.


Skip ahead if you already read this in Part 1

I have a class where some of their homework assignments require students to look up and write the definition of new vocabulary words and use each of them in an example sentence. That is what they are supposed to do, but because of the incredible amount of work they already have to do, the Korean teacher allows them to just rewrite the word 10 times. I guess this helps them with the spelling of the word?

I told the kids for my classes, they don’t have to write it 10 times, but they HAVE to use the word in an example sentence. That way they are practicing their sentence writing and thinking about how to use the word. At first they complained that this was too hard and they have too much work to do already, but we usually finish our lessons early and I let them do their homework, I even help them out on it. The sentences don’t have to be related to the lesson we learned, I told them to use them in ANY way possible, as long as it makes sense. I even told them they can say whatever they want about me, my family, USA, whatever, as long as it makes sense! The end result ended up back firing on me…

(not all of the pics were taken before I graded their work so the grammar is sometimes still incorrect)

Worship


Put Forward


All Kinds


Quite


Terrible


Crowded


Crazy About


Tied


Probably


Bright



Dangerous


Missing


Purchased


Well Known



Refused


Therefore


Do away with



Aircraft



Turn Up Late


Ancient


Ridiculous



Botany



As well as


I love these kids.

A lot of these came from an 11 year old girl with impeccable handwriting, who is one of the sweetest, shyest, and smartest girls in the school. I speak with her a lot and she likes me, so I don’t care if she is messing around and writing about me. I’m kind of happy I’m encouraging her to be a smart ass actually.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

your kids are so cute :)

Lana said...

Quite impressive on their part :) VERY FUNNY!

Ben Gwynne said...

Very impressive. The kids actually like doing them since they know they can make fun of me. It's really helpful and funny

Unknown said...

They are too funny. How did they come up with that stuff?!

Ben Gwynne said...

I dunno, but they certainly have no problem letting me bear the brunt of it. I should say had, since I'm not there anymore..sigh......

Anonymous said...

they are very funny, and naughty? :D

Anonymous said...

LOL! The kids are very creative. =)